Sunday, May 30, 2010

Gingered Chicken-Ga ram gung



















So this dish is a very cheap to make. It's a comfort food for me. My grandmother always had some in her fridge just in case we would get hungry.

Served on a warm bed of rice, it is divine! When I made it, I only had millet in my pantry, so I served my gingered chicken with millet. I know what you all think...A Vietnamese girl that has no rice in her household! OMG!!!


So for this recipe, you will need:
  • 4 chicken thighs
  • 2 medium size onions, diced
  • 2 big pieces of ginger, sliced (you can add more if you want)
  • 4 garlic cloves
  • 3 tbsp sugar
  • 1/3 cup soy sauce
  • pepper to taste



Chop your chicken thighs into small pieces. Brown the chicken skin side down first in a shallow pan. We are aiming for a golden color. It doesn't have to be cooked through. Once it's browned, remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.



Remove some excess fat, leaving about a tablespoon in the pan. DO NOT throw away the caramelized bits in the pan. Add your onions and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the sliced ginger, garlic and sugar. Cook for another 2 minutes or until it starts to caramelize.



Add the chicken and it's juices. Add soy sauce and cover with water. Let it simmer while removing the scum on top of the liquid.



Your dish is ready when there is a small amount left of the liquid in the pan. I use it to drizzle on the rice. Don't let it all evaporate because it's also the sauce of this dish.



Enjoy!!!

    2 comments:

    Ruzica said...

    I made the Gingered Chicken yesterday. I used the breast of chicken & brown sugar. Turned out very tasty. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    Lainey said...

    I'm making this again for the second time, Anh. It's SO good and really quite simple. A definite keeper! :)

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.