Sunday, January 23, 2011

My big fat turkey (Ma grosse crisse de dinde!)

Today was a lazy, cold, cold day. I had to find an excuse to use my oven for a few hours, and the thought of getting out there to go get some ingredients was very scary to me. So a looked in my freezers (yes, I have a couple), and found a 6 pound turkey that I have bought in the beginning of December. This was done at 7 in the morning. Needless to say that this bird was still rock hard solid, and I made it my mission to cook this baby up for tonight! So I gather all my strength and put the turkey in a cold bath. I made sure to change the water often. I know, I know! the M.A.P.A.C. would definitely slap my hand for doing so. Because you are supposed to thaw the meat under running cold water. But I feel really guilty toward the environment! So anyways...this subject is for another time! :)

Once I could lift and separate the turkey's skin between it and the breast, I made my quick marinade. Please note that the end result is quite different if you would have more time to marinade the bird and all. But you know me, always at the last minute!


So for the marinade:
  • 1/2 part vinegar
  • 1/2 part sugar
  • 1 part Dijon mustard
  • 1 salt (this might seem a lot, but I only had 1 hour to marinade)
  • 1 part oil
  • 1 medium onion
  • 3 lemons
  • 1 part of your favorite dried herbs

Mix the first five ingredients together. Set aside. Zest the lemons and mix the zest into the marinade. Cut the onion and two lemons into quarters. Now stuff the turkey with it!


Now pour some of the marinade between the skin and the turkey meat. Spread evenly. Pour the rest of the marinade onto the bird's skin. Be sure to cover all the turkey with it.


Slice the last lemon in to 4 slices and tuck them underneath the skin.


Cover the roasting pan and put the turkey into a 350 degree F preheated oven. Mine cooked for 3 hours and it was still frozen in the middle when I had put it in the oven. But just check it after 2-1/2 hours.


It came out really good and here are two pictures of the "before and after" on Chuck's plate


Note: It is obviously better if you put the turkey in a brine solution for 24 hours before you bake it. If you decide to do so, reduce the salt to 1/4 part!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.