Sunday, May 16, 2010

Mi Vit Tiem



















I made this soup a couple days ago. This is one of my favorite soup and I remember my mother used to make it for me when I was a little kid! I only had it when I would bring home good grades from school. Needless to say that I would do my best to get excellent grades so my mom could make it for me!

Here in Montreal, you don't really see Vietnamese restaurants serving Mi vit tiem because it's labor intensive compare to the pho that you would see everywhere. I think there used to be one restaurant in Côte-des-Neige, but they closed a couple years back. So when ever I have a craving, I would have to make it myself. It took me half a day to make mi viet tiem, but it was worth it! :)

For the duck
For four duck leg quarters 
  • 2 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/4 tsp 5 spice
  • 25 ml cooking wine
  • 25 ml dark soy sauce
  • 15 ml honey
  • 1 inch piece of ginger, sliced
  • Oil for deep frying
  • 8 shiitake mushrooms

*Rub the duck leg quarters with ginger, salt, 5 spice and cooking wine.  Marinate for at least 2 hours, pat dry with a towel.   Mix honey and soy sauce, bush the mixture over the duck leg.  Deep fry the legs until golden, we just want some golden color on the meat.  Rehydrate the mushrooms in warm water.

In a large pot, toast the following...
  • 3 cloves
  • 6 star anise
  • 1 1/2 tsp fennel
  • 9 slices of licorice root
  • 1 1/2 inch of cinnamon stick
  • 3 pieces of dried tangerine or orange peel
...until fragrant, then add water and...
(you can find all of these spices in an Asian grocery market)
  • 90 ml soy sauce
  • 4 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 tsp sugar
...and bring to a boil.

Add the fried duck legs and mushrooms.  Add more water if necessary to cover the duck.  Simmer over low heat until the duck is tender. 

Serve with cooked egg noodles and watercress, bok choy or any Chinese greens. You would usually see quail eggs in the soup, but I only had regular in my fridge. It was still good and delicious!!! It is served with a side of hot mustard and pickled papaya.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.